IT'S BILL'S BIRTHDAY! IT'S BILL'S BIRTHDAY! IT'S BILL'S BIRTHDAY! Now go searching for the kewlest rotorhead boy toys for presents, and leave them at The Castle.
I have a LOT on my mind, a LOT to do, and no time to do it in... so ya'll are getting a bullet point post today with a ton o' links.
1. Go read Ron's Rants
... his "Gretchen and the Hell's Angels" story has had me in stitches this week. OMG... funny, funny shit.
2. I'm moving tomorrow!! Yep.. I finally get to move into my new house. The divorce is moving along a little quicker now, but still stalled on many points. I should have high-speed internet by this time next weekend... that's a VERY good thing!
3. The Cincinnati Zoo announced the birth of a new baby boy gorilla, born on August 13. They're having a naming contest for Muke's baby
. HE IS SO FRIKKIN' CUTE... OMG, you have GOT to click on that link and watch the video, and if you live around Cincinnati, you just might win a membership to the zoo if you win the naming contest!
4. I haven't posted about a story that's bugging the hell out of me. An autistic 3 year old boy, Marcus Fiesel
, has been missing since August 15. His mental capacity is more like a 12-18 month old baby. He was at a local park with his foster mother and a few other younger children when his foster mother passed out and Marcus apparently wandered off. Marcus hasn't been seen since. I'm very worried about this, and I'm speculating that his foster family is at fault somehow for several reasons:
a. The family refused to let CPS caseworkers into the house for a regular visit on August 10. They were told Marcus was sick, and since previous visits indicated no problems, so they didn't press the family to see Marcus.
b. The police have been running searches around the foster family's home, which is nearly 2 miles away from the park he disappeared from. If he has the mental capacity of a 12-18 month old baby, he couldn't have gotten that far from her.
c. The foster father, David Carroll, was bi-polar, arrested in June for a domestic violence charge that was later dismissed, AND had a girlfriend living with them in their home. So weird...
5. The "Morning After"
pill will be available without prescription for anyone 18 or older starting November 1. I see this as a good thing- if a fertilized egg exists, the pills will prevent it from recieving nutrients from the mother's body or attaching itself to the uterine walls. If the fertilized egg has already attached to the uterine wall (at which point a woman is considered to be pregnant), the pill has no effect- which is why it is NOT considered an "abortion pill". Again, I see this as a good thing.
6. Israel just bought two more German-made Dolphin class submarines
, capable of carrying nuclear warheads. They already had three, bringing their fleet up to five. That's a lot of submarines for such a small country, don't you think? Scary.
7. Natascha Kampusch
disappeared on her way to school in Austria eight years ago, when she was 10. On Wednesday, a young woman claiming to be Natascha showed up on the street in Strasshof asking for help. A couple of hours later, the man she claimed held her captive for the past 8 years committed suicide. Can you imagine the relief her family is feeling right now? Absolutely amazing.
8. I need to go see this exhibit: The Cincinnati Museum Center is hosting a display of letters, drawings, and poems sent to New York rescue workers by children during the aftermath of 9/11. The exhibit, called "Drawn Together: Children's Artistic Response to 9/11"
features nearly 100 items and goes on display today. The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
is running a similar display starting Sept. 8. When I finally get to see them, I'll bring my camera... and plenty of tissues.
9. Did I mention THAT I'M MOVING TOMORROW??????
10. Courtesy of John Donovan
... I bring you.... FRIDAY PLANE PRON! It's a picture of the Hanoi Taxi (my brother's old
plane, now that it's retired) being greeting by former Vietnam POW's on May 5th during its retirement ceremony.