Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Why quote anyone?

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.
~Marlene Dietrich

That's why.

Sometimes I feel inspired, and I say the right thing in just the right way. More often than not, however, I feel my words fall flat. Finding just the right words to describe a perfect Halloween night, for example. Telling you that the air was crisp, the sky jet black, allowing the stars to shine, and describing the funny look on my son's face when he saw some teenaged boys dressed up as female hula dancers... well, it's just not enough. It doesn't really convey how gorgeous the night was, or how shocked Thomas was at sight of these boys("Mom!!!! They're BOYS! And they're wearing skirts and coconuts on theire, um... you know... boobies!), but it's true. Or trying to tell you how much candy they collected? Man... I think I'll have to measure it in TONS this year instead of mere pounds.

Sometimes, finding a famous quote will tell it better.

Nothing on Earth so beautiful as the final haul on Halloween night.
~Steve Almond

Hosting provided by FotoTime

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home