Friday, October 14, 2005

Cooking TINS 101

This is a really easy recipe, and it's sooooo good. But before you make it, MAKE SURE YOU READ THE TINS!!!!!!!!!

Pork Tenderloin with Scallion Sauce

1 bunch of scallions, cut into 1/2" pieces (about 1 cup)
1 cup canned chicken broth
salt and pepper
3/4 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2" slices
2T olive oil

Put the sliced scallions, a dash of pepper and the chicken broth in a pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes until the scallions are very tender. Puree the mixture in a blender, then return to the pan. Boil the sauce until thickened; reduce heat to low, cover and keep warm.

Heat oil in a skillet until it is hot, but not smoking. Lightly salt and pepper the pork slices. Saute pork slices in the hot oil for about 6-7 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

To serve, spoon scallion sauce over the pork medallions. Goes great with au gratin or sour cream & chive potatoes, steamed green beans, salad and a nice, crusty bread. Dress up the bread with seasoned olive oil for dipping. MMM-MMM GOOD!


Now...
You may be wondering how this recipe could possibly lead to a TINS. The first time I made this recipe, it was FANTASTIC. Easy and delicious, just like I was hoping. The second time, however.... I ran into a little problem. After boiling the sliced scallions in the chicken broth, I poured it into my blender just like the recipe says. I held my hand on top of the blender, hit the puree button, and POOF!!!!!! The hot liquid nearly exploded out of the blender, burning my hand. So, logically, I let go of the lid.

WHIRRRR! SPLAT! The blender was still on, so the boiling sauce flew out of the blender and hit me in the face. Since I wear glasses, this also meant that it got behind my glasses, burning the skin around my eyes. I finally got the blender turned off and ran to the sink, splashing cold water on my face and hand. It hurt like hell... I went to the bathroom. There, in the mirror, I saw my face for the first time. My eyes were swelling up, and blisters were forming around my nose and under my eyes. DAMN IT! Off to the hospital....

So, Mrs. Morrison.... How exactly did this happen again?
Well, you see, it's a matter of physics. Hot liquid creates steam. In an enclosed area, the steam and hot liquid take up all of the space, leaving no room for expansion.

Lesson learned. When putting hot or boiling liquids into a blender, LET IT COOL DOWN FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!! (please note, that this step is no where to be found in the recipe)

And yes... I've made it plenty of times since the explosion with no problems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home