Thursday, October 13, 2005

My War

By CBTFW.... just in case you didn't know already.

CBTFW (which stands for Colby Buzzell Fukc This War) had a blog, aptly named "My War". It was a fantastic read. So good, it got "voluntarily" shut down, like so many other great milblogs. Fortunately, CB saved his posts and listened to his heart and his regular readers, and decided to use the posts as a part of a book about his experiences with the Army.

I started reading CB's blog way back when. His blog is the reason I started mine- because I needed a blogger ID to comment on his site. I didn't do anything with my site for almost a year, but "My War" is the reason I became AFSister. I met some fantastic people as a result of CB's blog. ALa, Jen, Free, and Ciggy are just a few. When CB shut down... we were all quite unhappy and encouraged him to organize his posts into a book. We all told him it would be a best seller. He wasn't so sure. Here we are, over a year later... and "My War" has, indeed, become a book. I have no idea how many books are listed on Amazon, but I do know this: "My War" is at #540 and climbing rapidly. It jumped from 609 to 540 between yesterday and today.

Me? I got my copy a week before it was actually released to the public (cuz I'm speshul... OK, not really- I just pre-ordered it from Amazon. haha). It's FANTASTIC! Here's my "official" review of CB's book.

I started reading CB's blog about two years ago. Wow... two years! His style was unique. I could almost hear him saying "Oh yeah? Well let me tell you THIS story" and he would just break out into storytelling mode. Reading CB's words was like sitting around a campfire swapping stories. I was so sad when he had to take his blogsite down. Every once in a while, we'd get a teaser. Then finally.... THE BOOK!

I knew it was coming, and I knew it would be out in October, but man... to actually get the book and be able to read those stories again- priceless. As a reader of his blog, I was happy to see that the old posts were there, as well as some biographical information and supplemental posts. Have you ever read a story, fiction or non, and felt like you were being talked to by the author? Reading "My War" is like attending a one-man Broadway show- a highly entertaining, conversational evening told first-person.

"My War" is not fiction. It's a first-hand account of what leads young men to sign up for the military, and how war affects their lives. It's about fighting for your life, and the lives of others in a foreign country. The language is raw- so consider yourself warned if you are easily offended. It's also not meant for someone looking to glorify war or someone looking for a disgruntled Reservist's criticisms about the war. It's a talk with a war veteran. Enjoy it.. open your eyes and ears, and learn from it.


I really like this guy. He's an in-your-face, conversational, intelligent writer. If you haven't bought his book yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??????????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home