Monday, September 18, 2006

Explaining Princesses to my Little Prince

You know, when I was a kid, Cracker Jack boxes gave forth such treasures as plastic rings, or maybe a joke decoder. When I was a kid, Happy Meal toys consisted of those little mazes with the tiny metal balls, or maybe a tattoo, if you were lucky. These days my kids judge the worthiness of a restaurant by their prizes. They get things like watches, and spinning tops, American Girl dolls, Hot Wheels, and Beanie Babies with their lunches. Spoiled, spoiled, spoiled, don'tcha know. (yeah, I'm jealous. They get the COOLEST toys sometimes)
Saturday, McDonald's was deemed worthy of a lunchtime visit because of their Mario Brothers toys.

*sigh*

I do NOT like McDonald's.

*double sigh*

I started Weight Watchers on Saturday morning. McDonald's is *not* a "core food".

But, I caved. We went to McDonald's. During the ride back home, Kevin started asking me questions about Mario.
"Who's his little friend?"
"Is the green guy a good guy, or a bad guy?"
"Why is there a monkey?"
"Is it a good monkey, or a bad monkey?"

You see, Kevin has never played Mario Brothers, so I explained it to him thusly:
"The monkey is a bad monkey- he kidnapped Mario's girlfriend, so Mario spends the rest of the game chasing them down and trying to get her back."

Kevin was somewhat satisfied by this answer, but he still had one more question: "Is Mario's girlfriend a Princess?"

To which I replied, "Of course she is honey... EVERY girlfriend is a Princess. Never forget that, OK?"

"OK, Mommy"

Yep. I think he'll make a good boyfriend someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home