Monday, December 11, 2006

The New and Improved Fran O'Briens!

Oh man.
I read this over at Lex's place, and nearly did a happy dance right here at work. (oh no... not at work. no way. not me. I don't blog from work. I'm virtually at home. I swear. Honest.)

Fran O'Brien's original restaurant was closed last spring after Hilton *hack.. spit* refused to renew their lease, saying that their clientele wasn't up to Hilton standards. (in other words, they didn't want to accomodate the injured soldiers from Walter Reed)
Marty said he'd be back, and he is! The new location is in Mclean, Virginia. He's not sure when the Friday night free steak dinners for our wounded will start up again, but he said it will happen- including transportation to and from the hospital.

Good on ya, Marty! Good on you too, WaPo, for keeping up on this story.

********UPDATE*************
Several people have commented about the fact that the Friday night dinners have continued since Fran's closed last spring due to the work of Hal and Jim and a variety of DC hosts. I did know that this was happening. I posted this story because I thought it was cool that Fran O'Brien's will be re-opening and would like to start the dinners up again. I've heard that they won't be hosted by Hal and Jim, like they were before, but I don't know why.

2 Comments:

  • The Dinner have never stopped since the closing of Fran Obriens. Hal Koster and Jim Mayer have continued these dinners without interuption. Marty has not.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:56 PM  

  • anyone know anything about the new Fran O'Brien's in McLean> Can't find any info about it...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home