Monday, April 14, 2008

Iraqi Army "Brilliant"

Richard Butler, the CBS journalist rescued by Iraqi soldiers in the southern Iraqi city of Basra on Monday, described a quick escape and "brilliant" military work that ended his two long months of captivity.

"The Iraqi army stormed the house and overcame the guards and burst through the door and I had my hood on, which I had to have on the whole time. And they shouted something at me and I pulled my hood off," Butler told TV cameras. "And they ran me down the road."


First of all, let me be clear: I am THRILLED to hear about Richard Butler's safe return. Those of us who have been watching Matt Maupin's story know all too well what can happen when people disappear in Iraq.

Secondly... I have to tell you. Hearing him say that the Iraqi Army was "brilliant" in finding him- during a routine raid unconnected to any tips that the kidnapped journalist may be present- warms my heart. Our government gets bashed day in and day out about how little the Iraqi's are doing to stand on their own two feet. No one seems to pay attention to how far they have come. Today's rescue is one such example.

HOOAH, IqA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home