Monday, September 01, 2008

OK, I'm impressed

Obama says Palin's family off-limits

For as many objections as I have to Obama's political views... this was a classy, respectful move.

"Let me be as clear as possible," Obama said. "I think people's families are off-limits, and people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as governor or her potential performance as a vice president."

Obama said reporters should "back off these kinds of stories" and noted that he was born to an 18-year-old mother.

"How a family deals with issues and teenage children, that shouldn't be the topic of our politics, and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that's off-limits."


The thing I'm not buying is that there was an internet rumor floating around that Palin's 4-month-old baby is actually her daughter's baby, so the McCain/Palin campaign decided to "come clean" about the story. I haven't heard this rumor. She's 5 months pregnant- there's no way they could hide the preganacy during the entire campaign. That's why I think they made the announcement- they simply couldn't hide it much longer.

I also respect the Palin's response to Bristol's pregnancy. They're supporting her, but aren't sugar-coating the situation, saying "Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family."

As a fellow child of a teenage mother... I wish Bristol and her boyfriend good luck. If they truly have the support of their family like my parents did, they'll be ok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home