Monday, August 29, 2005

Give my regards to Broadway.....

Hosting provided by FotoTime

My husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary on Friday. Well, I THOUGHT we did. Actually, the Jimmy Buffet concert the week before was our big celebration. We don't usually get each other much more than a card and dinner, so I thought the concert would be a nice addition. However... hubby had different plans. He secretly planned a weekend getaway trip to New York City, complete with a hotel on Times Square and a show on Broadway- "Wicked". I was quite floored, to say the least.

On Sunday we got to visit the USS Intrepid, an aircraft carrier, which is docked at the end of 42nd Street. I'll post more on that later, since there were SO many kewl things to see on the Intrepid. In the meantime, here are some pix from Saturday to hold you over:
Hubby... on Wall Street.
Moi... on Wall Street.
Gun Pron for John... with more to follow later.

And we visited Ground Zero... an experience I'll never forget. And shouldn't forget, for that matter.
Hosting provided by FotoTime
Steel workers who were working on clearing away the rubble noticed that many girders formed crosses, and began cutting them that way. This one was mounted at Ground Zero for all to see. They also cut small crosses out of the girders and gave the cut-outs to family members of WTC victims. The example shown here is actually on display at the Intrepid:
Hosting provided by FotoTime

Most of the personal tributes left at Ground Zero are gone, except for this one, dedicated to a fallen firefighter. Zoom in and read the letter from his firefighter Dad, if you can bear it.

One thing I noticed about the skyline, is that no matter how far away I was from Ground Zero, I knew EXACTLY where those towers should be. It's like a hole in the New York skyline. Someday, new buildings will be there, but it won't ever be the same. In some ways, I think that's a good thing. We will always remember....
Hosting provided by FotoTime

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home