Thursday, November 16, 2006

My First Trip to NYC

I was a sophmore in high school, and a proud member of the drumline for Centerville High School's marching band. We were marching in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade- and even won the rights to the spot of the LEAD BAND! Yeah. It was a big deal back then. Still is, actually.

We stayed through the weekend, shopping downtown and even taking in a Broadway show, "Dreamgirls". I remember sitting in that audience, enthralled by the experience, listening to Jennifer Holiday, Cleavant Derricks, Sheryl Lee Ralph, Loretta Devine(who is also in the new movie version!), Ben Harney (who plays Curtis, the band manager and Effie's boyfriend- and the subject of the song I quote below) and Obba Babatunde belt out the most amazing songs. I swear, when I close my eyes, I can STILL hear Holiday (as Effie) singing, "I'm tellin' you... You're the BEST MAN I'll EVER know... No, no, no, no way I'm livin' without you". Oh man. CHILLS, I tell ya. CHILLS.

While browsing through FoxNews today, I found out that "Dreamgirls" has been made into a movie- and it does NOT disappoint, according to the critics. Although the storyline closely follows the true-life storyline of The Supremes, the playwright denies basing his musical upon the group. Call me a theater geek- that's ok. I cannot WAIT to see this movie.
CANNOT WAIT!
I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!

It'll be like walking off that bus in New York City as a 14 year old girl again, with my drumsticks in hand and Broadway dreams in my head. I just hope the opening scene isn't the first thing I saw in New York- a totally decked out drunken transvestite. Heh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home